Purple Mattress Reviews
About Purple Mattresses and the Purple Grid
Purple mattresses don’t fit into the usual mattress categories of foam, latex, hybrid, or innerspring. They use a proprietary stretchy material (a hyperelastic polymer) in a grid form, advertised as “no pressure support” and often known simply as the Purple Grid.
The material was invented by Tony and Terry Pearce, brothers who had already patented pressure-relief cushioning materials for wheelchairs, hospital beds, and other special uses.
Here we’ll look at the original Purple model, which has a top layer of 2 inches of the polymer grid material, and more recent models, which add pocketed coils, more support foam, and more polymer grid material.
There’s no best mattress for everyone. What mattress brand works for you depends on many factors, including price, health considerations, your favorite sleeping position, and your size. The information here is meant to help you choose the best Purple mattress type for you.
FREE sheets + 2 pillows with select mattress purchase
- 100-Night Trial
- Free Shipping & Returns
- 0% APR Financing
- 10-Year Warranty
Prices here are for queen-size mattresses for comparison.
- $ = under $1,500
- $ = $1,500–$2,000
- $$ = over $2,000
Purple’s original mattress was an internet success story, boosted by its video ads.
Materials in all Purple mattresses
- Purple mattresses have a top layer of the polymer grid consisting of 1-inch squares that is 2, 3, or 4 inches thick, depending on the model.
- The polymer grid has a nontoxic coating to keep the polymer from sticking to itself. (Specifically, it’s polyethylene copolymer powder.)
- The materials are FDA-approved food-grade or food-contact grade.
- The foam support layers are vegan and certified by CertiPUR-US.
- Mattresses have a non-toxic layer of fire retardant.
- Mattresses have a stretchy white cover made out of viscose (29 percent), polyester (67 percent), and Lycra (4 percent).
Original Purple Mattress
- Price: $
- Mattress height: 9.25 inches
- Mattress weight: 110 pounds
- Good for: Back, stomach, and side sleepers
The original Purple mattress has a 2-inch layer of hyperelastic polymer on top of two layers of foam. The middle layer, called comfort foam, is 3.25 inches. The base foam layer, 4 inches, is for support.
Thousands of reviewers give the original Purple five stars for comfort and pressure relief. Some note that it may not be best for sleepers with higher body weight or tall sleepers, who do better with the Hybrid model, which has firmer support layers.
Purple Hybrid Mattress
- Price: $$
- Mattress height: 11 inches
- Mattress weight: 122 pounds
- Good for: Back and stomach sleepers
The Hybrid has a 2-inch layer of the polymer grid on top of a dense polyurethane foam layer both above and below a 7.5-inch layer of individually wrapped pocket coils (made of 95 percent recycled steel).
The addition of coils gives the Hybrid mattress more support and bounce than the original.
The Purple Hybrid might be a good bet for sleepers with higher body weight because it has more support.
Purple Hybrid Premier
- Price: $$$
- Mattress height: 12 to 13 inches
- Mattress weight: 145 to 168 pounds
- Good for: Side sleepers
The Purple Hybrid Premier mattress has a thicker layer of polymer grid than the original and the Hybrid. The Purple Hybrid Premier comes in two models with either:
- a 3-inch-high grid layer
- a 4-inch-high grid layer
The supportive coil and foam layers are the same as in the Hybrid. The Hybrid Premier mattresses don’t feel as firm as the Hybrid. The difference in having more of the Purple Grid has been described as feeling more “floaty”, with great pressure relief. Other people describe the feel of the Purple Grid as cradling their body and giving them a weightless feeling.
The 4-inch Hybrid Premier may be best for sleepers with more body weight. Purple also advises the 4-inch for side sleepers and “full-figured” sleepers because it’s softer to the touch but also gives more support to the heavier parts of your body.
The Hybrid Premier usually comes with White Glove service, where Purple will deliver and install your new mattress. They do not remove your old mattress.
- Price: $
- Mattress height: 7 inches
- Mattress weight: 37 pounds
Introduced in mid-2020, the Kid mattress is about the same price as a twin-size original Purple model. The dimensions are the same as an adult twin bed, but the mattress has less depth. It consists of a 2-inch grid layer of hyperelastic polymer, on top of two layers of foam, each 2.5 inches.
The Kid mattress has the advantage of a washable mattress cover.
It’s recommended for youth up to 115 pounds.
Purple Pet Mattress
- Price: $
- Mattress height: 5 inches
- Mattress weight: 8, 16, or 25 pounds
Pet beds come in three sizes to accommodate small (1 to 30 pounds), medium (31 to 70 pounds), and large (71+ pounds) pets. They’re sturdy, antimicrobial, and come with washable covers. They also come with a 100-day trial period and a 1-year warranty.
Reviews averaged 4.5 stars, with many pet owners reporting that the bed helped their older dogs.
Purple mattresses were originally online only, but now you can buy them at Macy’s, Mattress Firm, and some independent local stores. Purple provides a store locator on their website.
Purple has seasonal sales such as Black Friday. Purple also has website specials, if you buy combinations of their products, such as a mattress and a Purple pillow or sheets.
Purple offers a 10 percent discount to healthcare professionals, military, first responders, truckers, teachers, and students.
The company increased its manufacturing capacity in 2020 to fill the growing demand for its mattresses, which are made in the United States.
Mattresses are shipped within 3 to 4 days, according to the Purple site.
Purple has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Amazon reviews have an overall rating of 9.9 stars, with 65 percent 5-star reviews.
According to a 2020 survey by J.D. Power, Purple mattresses have the highest customer satisfaction ratings of online mattresses.
Most of the reviews on the Purple site are favorable. Out of about 26,000 reviews on the website, the overall rating is 9.9 stars. Many say Purple is the best sleep they’ve ever had or that Purple relieves their pain.
The negative reviews include:
- reports of indents from wear in the mattress after a few weeks or months
- reports that the Purple grid deteriorates
- delivery delays (Purple has increased its production capability now)
- complaints that the mattress, even the Hybrid Premier, is too hard
Each seller has different return policies
Return policies and steps may vary from store to store. For example, Amazon has a 30-day return policy and you have to box your mattress for return.
Purple gives a full refund if you return the mattress within 100 days. You can call Purple to arrange a mattress pickup.
Know the warranty policy
For example, the 10-year limited warranty covers defects in the materials. If the surface develops an indent over 1 inch after proper use, Purple will replace it.
It’s likely that you’ll need someone to help carry your new mattress to the bed and lift it onto the bed platform.
Purple mattresses are heavy, especially the larger sizes, which can weigh 200 pounds. When it’s first delivered, the mattress comes compressed in a big roll with carrying straps on the package to make it easier for two people to carry.
If you’re moving, Purple has moving tips on how to wrap and carry your mattress for short and long-distance moves or storage.
Purple is a good choice if you’re open to trying an innovative mattress material and you have the budget.
The original Purple accommodates many sleep types, and the Purple Hybrid offers the advantage of the Purple Grid for softness and coils for more support.
Customer service online is helpful in answering questions, and now Purple mattresses are available in stores, so you can try it out. Mattresses can be returned within 100 days for a full refund.
Purple® Harmony Pillow
The first and only pillow with the Purple Grid™ Hex – doesn’t fall flat and stays cool all night.
Double Seat Cushion
Improve uncomfortable office chairs with the Double Seat Cushion. Its comfort and support lasts all day, even when you’re working overtime.
Purple® + Gravity Weighted Blanket
Sleep and feel better with the world’s first weighted blanket with Purple’s exclusive dual-feel duvet cover.
Snuggle up with the luxuriously soft Purple Duvet. Sleep cooler with the airy, Lightweight Purple Duvet, or get cozy in any weather with the heavier All Season Purple Duvet.
- The majority of Purple mattress buyers rate their mattresses as comfortable and relieving points where they felt pressure on a previous mattress.
- Purple mattresses sleep cool.
- Online customer service is prompt, knowledgeable, and helpful.
- Delivery is free (via FedEx) to your door.
- Mattresses are made in the United States.
- You can sleep on the mattress for 100 days, and return it within that time for a full refund if you don’t like it. Purple will arrange a pickup for the return if you buy from their website.
- You can buy it online or at Macy’s, Mattress Firm, or some local retail mattress stores.
- The polymer grid takes getting used to, according to many reviewers. If you love your foam or gel mattress, you may not adjust to the Purple Grid.
- Premium models are pricey.
- Purple mattresses, especially the larger sizes, are heavy.
- You may need to buy new sheets to fit. Purple recommends that you use their brand of stretchy sheets. These are relatively expensive.
- Purple’s mattress cover is not washable. Customer service advises, “The mattress cover can be removed but we recommend you do not remove it even to clean it but rather just spot clean [the mattress].”
- You may want to buy a mattress protector to go over the mattress cover. When asked, customer service advised, “It’s really up to you. If you have kids or pets, then it is a good idea. However, if you do choose to use a mattress protector then we recommend a stretchy one so it doesn’t create a ‘drum-like’ feel atop the mattress.”
- If you buy your Purple mattress on Amazon, you’ll only have a 30-day return window. Purchasers via Amazon complained that Purple doesn’t pick up returns purchased from Amazon.